Friday, July 23, 2010

Sign #2

The week has ended.  Long week.  This morning as I headed back to the QEH, I wasn't sure what I would find.  Yesterday, there was no progress.  Acutally more of the same...watching my loved one slowly losing everyday functions...like being able to see...being able to stand up...being able to walk without stumbling to the right. 

I wasn't going to go to the hospital right away this morning.  He said they would be running tests and he would be 'busy'.  Sitting here with my coffee suddenly became an insurmountable task.  It must be what an anxiety attack feels like.  I had to get out.  I didn't even take the time to wash my hair...and I love caring for my hair.  I quickly showered, hopped into clothes, and turned the key in the ignition.  I took another deep breath.

Please God ..... do not let me find him in a coma.  Mom, are you still there?  I am trying to listen...and not doubt. 

The visit was like a miracle.  He was not in his bed, but somehow I was able to sit patiently to await his return.  When they wheeled him into the room in a wheelchair, both eyes were open, and he wasn't being sick!  A miracle!  The brain swelling from the stroke had decreased overnight and his sight was slowly returning without the double vision.  He can stand...without throwing up.  He proudly showed me how he could make it to the bathroom while holding on to the chair, then the wall, then the door, then the sink, then the toilet! 
Things we take for granted on a daily basis...like going to the bathroom unsupported.

Rehab starts immediately.  He is anxious to get started.  He wants to get dressed.  He wants to go outside and feel the sun on his face.  But not without a wheelchair and someone 'responsible' with him.  I am estatic...I want to shout to the heavens...but I have to be satisfied to sit there and grin a silly grin like a kid with a new toy.

I leave the QEH to go tend to my son...and to deliver the encouraging news.  I am so blessed to be able to give him this good news.  I turn the ignition on.  Playing on the radio once again....

HOLD  ON, I promise it will be alright................................

Mom, thank you....I am so sorry if I doubted your powers...I should have known......................Give God my love and my thanks.........for this day...........

L.Lorraine

No comments:

Post a Comment