Friday, June 1, 2012

Making Memories of Us


The soft strains from the iPod in the corner waft through the room’s speakers.  

I hold Baby Emerson in my arms and he molds his body into mine, plops his little head on my shoulder and slowly entwines my hair around his chubby little fingers.  The next song on his favorite bedtime music album is about to start.  He pulls back in my arms and playfully tries to poke at my eyes, and when that doesn’t work, he pokes his little finger up my nose.  When I shiver and pull away he softly giggles.  His eyes are little slits now, the sandman is not far away.  

I lean forward and kiss his sweet forehead then each of his eyes.  He closes them and rewards my show of affection with a tighter hold on my neck.  I whisper softly that I love him and wish him sweet dreams.  With a soft sigh he shoves his little arms behind his back (all the better to feel the softness of his sleep sack) and within seconds his eyes are shut tight and his breathing even and steady.

These are precious moments.  The complete trust that I will look after him and tuck him into his bed is evident.  I want to hold him forever, but my ‘Nannie back' is already straining from his weight.  Reluctantly I gently ease him into his crib.  Not a sound does his make other than the soft sucking on his ‘souse’.  

Nite nite, little one.

Making Memories of Us  (Keith Urban)

And I'm gonna love you like nobody loves you
And I'll earn your trust making memories of us

..............

I'm gonna be here for you from now on
This you know somehow


…………..
And I'm gonna make you a promise
If there's life after this
I'm gonna be there to meet you with a warm, wet kiss


With much love on this day and always Baby Emerson.  Nannie.

No comments:

Post a Comment