“To laugh often and much; to win the
respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the
appreciation of honest critics and to endure the betrayal of false friends. To
appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better
whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to
know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to
have succeeded.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
I can’t discuss my opinions on the political hot points of
the day...publically. But this is where my
blog comes in. I can say whatever I want
here. It harms no one. It erases the mind chatter so I can ignore
the public's constant criticism and remember that I too, like most have an opinion.
What’s your point…you say?
One of the most talked about issues these days that seems to
attract all manner of lobbyists, activists, and political critics is the new
highway that the present government is planning for Bonshaw. Dubbed ‘Plan B’, it has taken on a life of its
own. Previous to this was ‘Plan A’ that
was scrapped after much vocal resistance from the area residents. They asked for the government to reconsider
where it was putting the highway. The
government did, hence the Plan B. The
locals are still not happy.
One evening my best half and I reflected on the day; a busy
day in the Legislature when tempers were hot and the opposition was slinging
their wrath across the floor like rapid gunfire. I watched this particular day and as the
camera panned the room I caught a glimpse of my best half. He appeared calm and unaffected by the drama
unfolding in the house. I couldn’t help
but admire his composure, whilst others’ faces
were turning scarlet red, body language was screaming and even while another member of the cabinet
choked back tears. Penny for your thoughts?
I guess the point I am making here is that politics is not
for the faint of heart. Coming into this
we understood that it would not be easy.
There is always the ‘other side’ that will take their pot shots at you
whether you are wrong or right. I hasten
to say the quote ‘earn the appreciation of honest critics’ still remains to be
seen (honest being the operative word). So at the end of each day when we debrief,
it is during these discussions we realize that often it might be akin to
trying to keep the tide out with a pitchfork.
He forges on though, the people expect it and they deserve to have him
there.
“...to know that even one life has breathed
easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.”
Back to the ‘Plan B’.
It appears that it is now down to a handful of trees that are in real
jeopardy of being torn down for this highway alignment. I know this because it has been discussed at
length in the media. Up to this point I
wasn’t really sure where I stood with the whole ‘highway’ saga. Skeptics are saying it is not a safety
issue. How do they know that for
sure? Who knows? One thing I know for sure. If it saves one life, then the handful of
trees coming down will be worth it.
Another time…another place.
Back in the 90’s, my best half worked highway patrol for a
year. Many a night he bolted out of the house,
pulling on his uniform as he ran. While
the rest of the world slept, he stood on the side of a country road lit with flares,
shivering with the wintry cold blowing through his uniform. He solemnly stood controlling the traffic, while an ambulance crew
tended to the victim of a fatal automobile accident.
His job then was not for the faint of heart either.
The reason I go back in time to these days is simple. He remembers those times today. When a group of people gather to rant and
rave about some trees coming down, he remembers…having to go to a door… in the
dead of night.
It is all about...perspective.
It is all about...perspective.
I certainly don’t know what it would be like to knock on a
stranger’s door, having to announce to a parent, that their loved one had perished
in an automobile accident. He knows...but I hope I
never will.
I know where I stand with this whole highway debacle. In the simplistic of terms: If this new highway will save just ONE family
from experiencing a loss…then it will be worth it.
“I’ll trade ya….a
Life…for a few trees.” (L.Lorraine)
Disclaimer: My
opinion has nothing to do with politics or ‘towing the party line.’ It is instead, a deeply personal opinion I
have on the matter. And for the record,
I love trees. But new trees can grow
again, a life taken…is lost forever.

No comments:
Post a Comment