Monday, May 28, 2012

Oh, the Drama!


Don’t let anyone’s ignorance, anger, drama, or negativity stop you from being the best person you can be.     (Unknown)

Have you ever noticed Drama is everywhere?  Sometimes it just takes over and the participants slip into a ‘drama’ –like world and for some reason the drama then becomes their reality.  I am not immune to Drama. I love a healthy dose of it, but when it becomes ‘unhealthy Drama’, I draw the line. 

So with 'Drama' in mind, here are my top ten favorite 'Drama' things:

Grey’s Anatomy. I know it is just a show, but without the ‘drama’ it would be snoreville.  Kudos to the writers who come up with this stuff to entertain.

Private Practice.  Again just a TV show, but for God’s sake, to what length will the writers go in the ‘drama’ arena.  Over the top I would say.

American Idol.  A reality show that pulls America’s talent out of the woodwork.  This past season, anyone seeing the show where one of the judges’ favorite is about to get the boot, J.Lo steps in and saves the day.  The said contestant ended in the top two.  Who knew?

Survivor.  Just how much of this is ‘reality’ and how much is staged?  Hmmmm.

Politics and the Legislative Assembly.  Need I say any more!  

Rallies, public forums, protests.  Is there ever anything positive come out of these things?

The Daily Newspaper.  All you need are the headlines.  You could probably predict and/or write the script yourself.  When the daily rag starts resembling a tabloid that is when you know ‘Drama’ is alive and well.

Grocery store lineups.  My all time favorite.  Stay in the present moment and let it all unfold.  Comedy at its finest!  In particular watch the express checkout 1-10 items only…sometimes it is just too ripe. Someone should write a sitcom about this.  

Family gatherings. Fun times when there are multiple personalities involved.  God grant me patience (and I want it right now).

If I was living in the larger metropolitan areas, I could add traffic jams, the subway, the TTC (sorry to pick on you Toronto, but hey I lived there once).  But here, what I can relate to is road construction (with long lines of traffic waiting for the flaggers to flag me on), potholes, and the occasional traffic congestion at rush hour over the one bridge leading out of town.  Add to that, cyclists who believe they ‘own the road’ narrow as it is; or the ‘pedestrian rules’ crowd who walk out in front of you – crosswalk or not, and expect you to stop on a dime; or the hundreds of Island drivers who insist on riding your bumper, even though there are countless opportunities to pass if they really wanted to.  With the ‘Drama queen’ in me firmly in check, I smile and remind myself that I am not in that much of a hurry to be responsible for making a bad day for someone else or God forbid running them down with my 4x4. 

Suffice to say ‘Drama’ surrounds us whether we like it; embrace it; or not.  I too possess a ‘Drama’ side  like most people (whether they admit it…or not).  My Mother at times would remark that I had a little bit of 'Aunt Laura' in me.  I have since passed it on; genetics are like that!  You can actually have fun with it.   

When Drama threatens to become destructive, negative or borderline obsessive, then, it is time to re-evaluate. 

Feel free to add your own ‘Oh the Drama’ experiences to this list.

No comments:

Post a Comment