Monday, June 28, 2010

Fireworks and a Full Moon


Not everyone can say that on their birthday they were entertained by a Fireworks display AND a full Moon! But I can!!




Our community was celebrating an early Canada Day at the marina where Sweet Caroline is berthed at the moment. We packed up supplies and headed to the dock mid afternoon. The theme of this year’s celebration was 'Mardi Gras'. Now you need to understand how much I love parties, especially 'theme' parties. Stashed at the bottom of my wheelie cart was all the paraphernalia I needed to transform our water craft into a ‘Mardi Gras’ extravaganza. Given the small fact I had only hours to prepare (as opposed to days which I would have preferred), the result was not bad at all. Martha Stewart would have been proud!



Sweet Caroline was decked out in little lanterns, with a straw (tikki-like) umbrella at the stern (to keep the dew off our heads of course), and candle lit lanterns placed strategically here and there. Our i-Pods were playing our favorite tunes on the speakers (inside and out), and it was now party-time. Promptly at dusk, we climbed up to the fly bridge and nestled down with a tasty glass of Malbec wine to enjoy one of the best fireworks displays I have ever seen in such a small community. The docks, parking lots, lawns and seating areas were packed with young and old, who all responded enthusiastically to the light show. When the hub-bub died down and the noise of the crowd dropped to a murmur, I was presented with the best gift of all. Hovering low in the sky and shining down on me/us was the clearest, fullest Moon we have seen this season.



Around midnight, my husband and I danced to Alexandra Burke’s rendition of “Hallelujah” and reluctantly retired to the V-berth and promptly fell asleep to the rocking motion and gentle ripples of the changing tides.



It was indeed... a ‘Happy Birthday’ to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment