Friday, June 25, 2010

Parenting is a Journey; Not a Destination

I read somewhere that parenting is a verb, not a noun. I thought about that a bit and reflected to a time before I had my children. Not only was I blissfully unaware of what the word [parent] really meant to me; I instead plunged in head first to take on the most important role I will ever have in my life.


Parenting for me is a journey and I never for a second expected it to be a destination {e.g. I have acquired my PhD in Parenting; OR I will be taking Parenting 101 this semester; OR I have become an expert in Parenting]. Parenting is an ongoing process and until I die, I will always be a ‘parent’; a Mom; a role, and a lifetime accomplishment that nobody can take away. It is mine to keep, like zillions of other Moms in the world. I had no idea that something that initially seemed so simple, would become the most fulfilling and rewarding time of my life. A dear friend commented yesterday that ‘you are never done being a Mom’. I agreed wholeheartedly and responded with a ‘yes, thank God’!

I truly believe now that I have reached my ‘golden years’, that being over 50. When you are married 50 years, it is your golden anniversary, so it is only fitting when you reach 50 years of age – it should therefore become the beginning of your ‘golden years’. I love the idea of growing old gracefully and “but for the grace of God, go I”, that is exactly how I wish to proceed.

Today, for the first time, I pulled my first 6 (set) of tarot cards. I took the deep breaths as recommended; cleared my mind of the busy senseless thoughts; focused totally on the question I had foremost on my mind and studied the cards that were flipped down in front of me. I didn’t randomly select them, but focused on a system of selection that made sense to me. The 6 cards turned over and five out of six had a very distinct message for me in relation to my question. Needless to say I was a little freaked out that they were so appropriate. One in particular, I can share, as it was my favorite and gave me a wonderful warm feeling of peace in the core of my body. Sometimes it is just wise to put your trust in the Universe. I really need to work on that.

Card 3 (The Sun): Your fears


You are afraid that things seem too good to be true, so much pleasure and joy - well enjoy it, sometimes we can be pleasantly surprised. If you have been unwell this is a time of rejuvenation and good health. Perhaps you are afraid that things won't actually get better - have faith you are about to enter a happy and pleasurable time. The Sun heralds an ending to difficulties and a time to celebrate with friends and loved ones, a time of pleasure and good news around children or the conception or birth of a longed-for baby.

So it is with great zeal that I will embrace today and the next four days. They are/will be days of celebration. Anniversaries to celebrate the joining of hands and rings in marriage. My anniversary marks the day that I took my best friend, 36 years ago – to be my husband. My firstborn, my daughter, and her husband will celebrate their 5th milestone in this life journey called marriage. My youngest, my son, and his wife will celebrate their 1st year as husband and wife. Mixed in there are birthdays to celebrate another blessed year alive. What joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment