Gratitude comes in many forms…as I have experienced over the past 24 hours. When I would hear the word ‘gratitude’, I commonly thought of great things, like being able to be a Mother. Mother’s Day brought those reflections to the forefront. With stillness, however, comes enlightenment, peace, and of all things…gratitude. The small things, often overlooked, brought me astonishing gratitude these last couple of days.
Like my friend, who has just left her husband of 25 years, but whom I sought out on my way home, just to see if she was doing okay. My short visit with her; seeing that she looked divine and well rested, left me feeling grateful that she was ever in my life.
I was able to wake up this morning, nice and early, not necessarily to greet the sunshine, but to bask in the uniqueness of being alone. Turning on my computer, I expected to receive an update as to where ‘the boys’ were on their trip. Instead, I received the best gift of all…enlightenment…in the form of a diary of sorts…presented like a gift…providing insight and healing…and best of all…gratitude. I am humbled. It took a lot of courage and trust to give me this gift. Like I said, gratitude comes in many forms.
I moved on to read the newspaper, as is my custom. Some days it is so full of negativity, I close the page down and escape to my happy place. Today…like a lemming heading to the sea…I open the link to the ‘deaths’ page. There, glaring at me in black and white is an announcement…age 57…a guy I went to school with…died suddenly over the weekend…no doubt his wife and mother of his children by his side. Too young to die. So, I slowly closed the newspaper link down. I sat and reflected how fortunate I am…to be able to wake up this morning and greet the day…whatever it might bring. Yes, I am grateful, and I have this former high school classmate to thank. For in his passing, I found gratitude.
No comments:
Post a Comment