Monday, May 31, 2010

Overcoming Adversity

“I know God will not give me anything I can’t handle. I just wish that He didn’t trust me so much.”    ~Mother Teresa

With this on my mind this morning, I can’t help but wonder how accurate Mother Theresa was when she penned this quote. Adversity; yes, is a word tossed around by many. But just how many of us actually take the time to realize what it really means? Of this I am certain; our family this week has had many introspective thoughts on the subject. As a Mom, I wanted to trade places, to make the ‘adversity’ mine. But then again, I am also a believer in ‘purpose’. My purpose is to take this ‘adversity’ and make the best of it. My son is. He has taught me this already, and it is just week 1 for him. His first day home from the hospital, I received an email that had ‘Passing Some Time’ on the subject line. Until I opened it, I was trying to imagine what ‘passing some time’ meant for him. I laughed out loud when I saw the picture he sent with the email. I need to share this, as there are many who would not even think of doing this …let alone actually do it! 


So, we forge on. I say ‘we’, as this is a family affair. Our family has banded together to make the next 12-14 weeks bearable for our son/brother/husband/son-in-law/nephew/cousin. We will get creative. We will be there every step (or non-step) of the way. Our thanks for this is simple. We are greeted with his smile and positive aura when we visit. We are blessed with the gift of his personal presence. His needs are simple…he asks for nothing, and I am left with the feeling I am not doing enough. He is quiet, calm, and reflective. He understands that underneath his ‘adversity’, there is a more profound message. He will someday be enlightened to this message, and is patient enough to wait it out.  With your guidance, my son, I too will understand...someday!  Blessings!

This next quote is very fitting:

“The greatest healing therapy is friendship and love.”


~ Hubert H. Humphrey


No comments:

Post a Comment