Friday, February 2, 2018

Running the Race...and Resilience



A politician's job is akin to attempting to keep the tide out with a pitchfork.  ELR

I have always tried to avoid the political arena but alas…it is part of my life so without even realizing it was happening, it seeped into all the little nooks and crannies that used to hold other things. You know, the fun things like blogging, sewing, decorating, dinner parties, playing with crafts etc.  It’s been more than a year since I’ve written so I am horrified that it seeped into that space as well. My writer’s muse flew out the window with the threat of being overcome with partisan rants.

We entered ‘the race to run’ in the fall election of 2011 possessing a large dose of naivety, optimism, positivity, and last but not least excitement.  The excitement lasted about 4 years…then something happened.  A second term, with yet another heavy-duty portfolio rife with baggage, suspicious resignations and it went on…and on…and on. 

This is where resilience comes in. Sitting on the sidelines is not an easy task especially when a loved one is tackling the most all-encompassing role he has ever had. Sheesh! My life for 37 years as an RCMP member’s wife now looks like a cake walk. We have had tough decisions to make all our lives and we met them head on. We are better for them. I used to marvel at the resilience of our children. I think I short changed our own resilience because we will come out of this too – unscarred, and hopefully not too cynical. And life will carry on. And we will find our peace again.
Our place of PEACE.

It’s 6.5 years since this walk in the political minefield started. I can honestly say I am excited and overjoyed to see the light at the end of the tunnel. But one thing I know for sure. Even with all the challenges, we will come through this with the same honor and dignity we possessed from day one (and hopefully our sense of humor). Our moral compasses are firmly intact. What shocked me the most throughout these past years is the impact politics had on me as a spouse; on our children; our extended family and friends (at least the friends we have left). Who knew that our choice of a political party would create such a divide with some people. This speaks to the real reason why there is a ‘secret ballot’.  

When I was a teen and able to vote I always voted the way my Father suggested. Lacking the political savvy, it only made sense. And this is why. My Dad worked for the government’s department of highways and the political party in power was very important to him – our survival depended on it. Without any hesitation I would vote exactly as he would suggest. Even with the secret ballot, I know my Father never worried about my choice in the voter’s booth. I trusted his choice of party and decision. The ‘party’ never let him down. Not always did his choice of party win the election though. He didn’t need to worry. My Dad’s work ethic being an honest day’s work for an honest day’s pay and his reputation preceded him. He worked every day those hot summers driving a large gravel truck or pavement roller all the while suffering with stomach ulcers.  He pushed through the pain and it eventually took its toll on him. So, for that I thank whatever political party was in power at the time. He still got his job back. He didn’t suffer financially at least. 

Back to the now. When this is over we will enter another chapter in our lives. We will pick up the threads and pieces of friendships that still see ‘us’ as people as opposed to a ‘party’ follower. The ‘friends’ that appeared overnight were not really friends (remember the naïve part?) and it wasn’t long before we understood that for some it is self-serving to be close to the MLA of the day. Which is fine. I possess my Mom’s strong gut feelings about people, so I wasn’t fooled for a minute. To play along seems rather disingenuous and there were days I had to escape the whole scene just to find myself again.


I flew below the radar for the past 6.5 years and it worked. I could go to the bank on the fact a lot of people around here still don’t know who I am. At least that is my hope.

Resilience: an individual's ability to adapt in the face of adverse conditions (Wikipedia).

The adverse conditions I cannot speak about in detail but anyone who follows politics closely will understand. The expression ‘I know too much’ will mean a lot more next time an election rolls around!

No comments:

Post a Comment