Tuesday, September 24, 2019

THE JOURNEY TO SELF CARE: Where to go from here



Date of original post; May 9, 2019 

 
We are blessed with a rich upbringing, in that what we (I) lacked in monetary means or possessions, we (I) made up for in the intrinsic values, beliefs, moral compass and humility.  The latter being the hardest to maintain over the years as society and personal success(es) or means can sometimes pull you off track. Enter “Eckhart Tolle” and discovering ‘our life’s purpose’.



Humility: A modest or low view of one’s own importance.

Then…there’s politics. For eight years we worked daily on the humility factor. While in public office you are effectively living in the realm of a fishbowl. Ever curious/watchful/envious/jealous eyes kept ‘tabs’ on every aspect of our lives private or public. We handled this. Our life’s experiences/professions prepared and molded us into the adults we are today. One thing we didn’t consider; the impact our political life would have on our children and their carefully crafted personal lives. We underestimated them! Today’s social media doesn’t leave anyone out. I believe our children did indeed come out unscathed through it all. 

Back to social media (and the media in general). Ever so slowly I ‘blocked’ and 'unfriended' people on the ever popular Facebook. For one reason: The offenders threatened my self-care. I did not participate in the language of political discourse on social media. It’s a conversation I couldn’t win. Yes, I blogged about his/my experiences during political campaigns but did not offer or encourage feedback or opinions.



Opinions: Like assholes – everyone has one.

For two political terms totaling eight years, I did not comment on posts, newspaper or online posts involving politics. Nor did I post any of my own. Today I am thankful I had the gumption or backbone for resisting the invitation to enter that rat hole that had no exit. And that rate hole is really crowded, and I hate crowds.

Summer is almost upon us with whispers of long sunny days floating on the sea aboard our oasis – unplugged and totally off the grid. Self care indeed!



My biggest regret – my only regret is I stopped writing. Distracted by the heavy vibes, crazy energy and mind chatter consuming me daily, my muse took off kicking and screaming and hid, nowhere to be found all those years.

The writing that gave me such joy would stay on a dusty shelf never to be touched for almost a decade.

THIS needs to change. My self care depends on it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment