Thursday, November 13, 2014

With Heavy Heart




I am in shock.  At mid-day I received a two word text message: 
Boss Resigned.  

Rewind 3.5 years:

I was pulled kicking and screaming into this political arena.  I was terrified.  I never followed politics.  I really didn’t like discussing politics.  Politics ruined family relations – of the hugest kind.  So for the most part I stuck my head in the sand and did not want to follow politics…it only meant heart ache. 

Then my husband decided to run in his district.  I have posted many, many posts around this.  But today …well today, there is a different story to tell. I remember my husband calling family members to tell them of his decision to run.  That will be another post…someday…well maybe.

I viewed our political party leader – our Premier, a few years ago with a wary eye.  He is after all 20 years my junior!!  I was not convinced.  But then again I didn’t follow politics – so I had myself to blame.  So I entered this arena with a critical and open mind.  The past three and a half years have definitely been enlightening.  

Today I was totally unprepared for my reaction to his announcement; Our premier announced he is stepping down as Premier; as leader of the Liberal party; as the MLA for his district.  I am gobsmacked.

Baby Jack finds a comfy spot on my chest.
In the past three and a half years, I got to know him.  I got to know his family and his sweet little children.  His baby boy slept on my chest for hours – as a Grandmother that melted my heart. 

What I do know is this.  This young man - our Premier for the last 8 years entered political office with a fresh scrubbed face.  He survived the most scrutiny, the most criticism; the most animosity; and the most skepticism and best of all the most loyalty from his followers.  His father before him was also a Premier, so he had this ghost following him the entire 12 years of his service.  My God! 

There is a park in our province's Capital that is named after his father.  It is my grandson’s favorite park.  How fitting.

But even with all this, my heart is heavy.  After the last few years, I have come to understand him; trust him; and stand by him through thick and thin.  It really had nothing to do with politics.  It is always about people.  He is a good person.  He is brave and courageous.  His children will grow up and possibly read the history and know that their Dad was a good guy.  We need to congratulate him in his brave decision to step down at this point.  I, for one applaud him. And more importantly...I will miss him.

Mr. Premier – a.k.a Robert - you are the best!
Our Premier and his family (wife Kate, girls Julie and Emma) on their way to listen to the Lieutenant Governor deliver the Throne Speech at Province House. November 12, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment