I am a hopeless romantic.
I know that is probably the corniest thing I could ever admit. But in a way it speaks of my personality so
profound I am embarrassed to admit it.
I love my personal time…as age creeps in…even more so. I have come to a point where I can pick and
choose who I spend my time with. There
are few people that fit that profile. I
need to ‘recharge’ more often than I ever knew.
People drain me. I can understand
now why a reclusive person seems totally happy in their world. I could so see myself living in that
world. An introvert by choice, I can be
both though, but… I prefer my introvert self.
For years, I thought there was something wrong with me. I faked it.
I smiled, joked and made fun – when I really wanted to be away…from the
crowd or group that was garnering my attention.
I was so good at it that very few people understood who I really
was. Some would laugh uncontrollably
when I told them my preference was an introvert. SEE…this is the thing. Introverts are highly misunderstood. They are considered boring, uninteresting and
having nothing to say. SO untrue, and
unfortunately those who dismiss ‘the introvert’ are those who miss out. I have a lot to say…to the right
audience. I am not boring…to the right
partner and I do not ever believe that I am uninteresting. I am
not a fan of the expression ‘the more the merrier’. A very intelligent HR
manager I knew once was fooled totally.
I am good at that.
I love nature. I love
what God gives us in a natural setting.
I was never a fan of ‘bling’.
Give me a rock, a feather, a piece of sea worn wood and I will see
beauty. Not saying I do not succumb to
the glam I see in fashion mags or in decorating mags. But I do have a certain style. And it is not something you would need to
spend a lot of money on. Maybe it was my
childhood. I did not have access to
anything glamorous so I turned to the mundane; the ordinary, to find
beauty. And I found it. I invented the
‘rock collection’ and many scoff at that.
I don’t. Each and every rock I
collect carries a memory and over time its beauty intensifies. I can tell you where each and every rock came
from…and who gave it to me. Call me
crazy…!
Recently I learned that in my ancestry I am of Métis
heritage. I love this. It somehow explains all the things I never
understood before. Never mind that I
loved these things all my life – but now somehow this newfound knowledge explains
it. I decorate with branches, berries
and pinecones; driftwood and sea shells.
Yes, it is also the ‘in’ thing to do – but I have been doing it for
years – long before it was in vogue. It
was all I had…a long time ago. I bought
feather earrings…not knowing why I liked them and in the 1960’s, a rawhide
purse with a fringe. I wear clothing
that is probably not appropriate for someone in their 60’s. I don’t care.
It is who I am. My hairdresser is
a young girl in her 20’s. She ‘gets
me’. I make sure she totally understands
the ‘look’ I am searching for. No ‘old
lady’ haircuts for me!! She pats me on
the shoulder and assures me that it will never happen. I am my Mother’s daughter. My Mother…who was also a Métis.
This of course will be another blog. This Métis thing. I am not alone. Many are just finding their roots…like
me. It is all good.
The Metis Flag:

No comments:
Post a Comment