Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Terrific Threes



He is truly terrific; this grandson of mine.  He is three. He can communicate now.  His little lisp forms the words oh so carefully.  He can answer in a grown-up way with an ‘uh-huh’ instead of a ‘yes’.  If he needs to take a minute to think before he answers he will draw out a long ..uummm.  


Words must seem like magic to him.  Before, when he could only gesture or cry or laugh; now he can articulate these emotions.  He calls his little cousin his ‘best fwriend’.  On a day when he isn’t going to daycare he will exclaim; “How about…we go to Nannie Wee Wee’s house?”  The emphasis is on the ‘how about’.  Playing hide and seek he will cover his eyes and count (even though we can see him peeking through his fingers).  Always the thrill seeker, he loves it when we scare the wits out of him.  He can tell us now that we ‘scarwed him’.  And boy CAN he can count!  It is a favorite thing for him to do.  And speaking of favorites; when I pick him up at daycare I always have a drink and a treat (waiting for him in the car).  He loves Teddy Grahams and Pringle chips (or as he calls them – peeps).  Stuffing as many into his mouth as will fit, he will tell me with a twinkle in his eye that they are his ‘favowites’.  
I'm three and my t-shirt says so.  Party chips!
I love talking to him.  We can have our little conversations and he is a willing participant.  He loves to tease and will fib his way in or out of a situation.  I will need to teach him about looking me straight in the eye while he fibs.  Maybe – just maybe this will be hard for him.  It worked with my kids.  


He loves to party.  It was no surprise he was thrilled to have a 3rd birthday ‘pawty’.  The party lasted several days with the mylar balloons still floating silently along the ceiling.  He had cupcakes.  They are also his ‘favowites’.  He helped his Grampie blow out his candles on his birthday a few weeks before.  He had cupcake envy.  So, his Auntie made him cupcakes with ‘airplane toys’ and the number 3 on top. 
Auntie Shae made my 'airplane' birthday cupcakes.
As the evening came to an end he looked disappointed when family members started to leave.  He looked up at me with the saddest eyes and asked; “You sleeping here Nannie?”  I was SO glad to answer in the affirmative.  He was okay then and hugged the others goodnight.  He didn’t want the party to end.
My favorite - "Dusty" helium balloon!
He had a long winter with lots of kids’ sickness.  With his words, he can now explain how he feels.  One afternoon upon waking from his nap he told me he had a ‘heggache in his throat’.  Turns out the poor wee pet had strep.  He can say ‘ouch’ when he hurts and can tell you where it hurts.  A whole world has opened up for him.  He can ask to ‘see the doctor’ and usually it is followed by ‘now’.  He is an Aries child and he has the personality to match.  He will never be a push over for anyone and he will lead the pack.  A teensy bit scary!  One day all his clothes and ‘bubbie’ (blanket) had to come home from daycare for a thorough washing.  He promptly told me the daycare had ‘bugths’.  Lice do not discriminate and his little world got a top to bottom cleansing!


His is three (did I mention that)?  He is potty trained and will insist on going to do his business by himself.  He can climb in and out of his crib…but I was swiftly told it was his ‘bed’…and not a ‘cib’.  He still has a ‘yu-yu’.  That was a word he came up with for a soother.  He knows he shouldn’t have one.  But he loves it so.  His little eyes will swim and he will enter a trance-like state when he pops it into his mouth at the end of his day.  He will say, “I had a busy day Nannie.”  How could I possibly refuse him this one luxury? 



He loves books.  He loves children’s movies like Cars; Airplanes; and lately The Jungle Book.  Unfortunately the last one has been shelved for awhile.  He learned the word ‘kill’ from this movie and it was unsettling for his parents to hear him use that word and in the right context.  And so begins the teaching and the learning.  It is only the beginning.
Story time with my Nannie
  
My sweet Em.  You are growing up so fast.  I now have to share your affection with Grampie Wee and at times you would prefer his company.  You are a man’s man and I love your assertiveness.  I will always be your Nannie and when you search my eyes when I speak to you; I know in my heart you will never forget the sound of my voice.  


Happy 3rd Birthday sweet one!  And always remember – it IS terrific you are THREE!!
 Hugs and Kisses...your Nannie.  a.k.a.Lady Lorraine

No comments:

Post a Comment