Monday, February 10, 2014

When You Thought I Wasn't Looking



Thanks Mom,


When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw you open my homemade card and smile and I immediately wanted to make you another one.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw you feed a stray cat or rescue an injured bird, and I learned that it was good to be kind to animals.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw you make my favorite cake for me and I learned that the little things can be the special things in life.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I heard you say a prayer, and I knew there is a God I could always talk to and I learned to trust in God.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw you make a meal and take it to a friend who was sick and I learned that we all have to help take care of each other.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw you give of your time and money to help people who had nothing and I learned that those who have something should give to those who don’t.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I felt you kiss me good night and I felt loved and safe.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw you take care of our house and everyone in it, and I learned we have to take care of what we are given.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I watched you sew dresses for my sister & I and I learned to appreciate a God given talent.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw how you handled your responsibilities even when you didn’t feel good and I learned that I would have to be responsible when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw tears come from your eyes and I learned that sometimes things hurt, but it’s all right to cry.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw that you cared, and I wanted to become everything that I could be.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw you doing without, so your family’s needs were looked after, and I learned to be a giving person.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw you stand quiet and lend no argument and I learned humility.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw you give away your last dollar…and I learned that Charity begins at home.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I learned most of life’s lessons that I need to know to be a good and productive person when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I looked at you and wanted to say “Thanks Mom, for all the things I saw when you thought I wasn’t looking”.

XXX 000 Love,
L.Lorraine 2001


Recently when I was looking through old electronic files, I found this poem I had written to my Mom in 2001.  It is a variation from the original poem written by Mary Rita Schilke Korzan.  I loved the spirit in which it was written but wanted it to be personal to my Mother.  I sincerely hope the original author will be honored that she wrote something so beautiful that I wanted to share it.
Angel Wings


No comments:

Post a Comment