Here’s the skinny. On
Christmas Eve we bade farewell to our beautiful ‘Sweet Caroline’. I can’t believe it! I know the expression ‘everything is for sale’
– but I never applied it to Sweet Caroline.
She was supposed to be a keeper.
She was our savior. When times
were uncertain, she provided us with solace.
![]() |
| Sweet Caroline |
He slept in her v-berth the first day back on the dock. A fallout of his strokes and unsure of his
balance and footing, he made his way over the floating docks to Sweet Caroline. She beckoned to him and like the call of a
siren, it worked. She became an integral
part of his rehab in the coming weeks.
But this past summer our aging knees had another story to
tell. Buckling to his knees one morning,
an old knee injury reared its ugly head and the ladder to the flybridge was
becoming an assessability hazard. Who
knew? So on Christmas Eve with the
purchase and sale offer in our hands, we exchanged knowing looks and became
very, very aware of our immortality. Out
of the blue a couple wanting a Mainship trawler approached us – they had heard
of ‘Sweet Caroline’ and wanted to buy.
Even with the language barrier, the language of boaters and the sea took
over. They fell in love. Not much wonder. Anyone spending any amount of time on board
Sweet Caroline would say the same. She was
beautiful.
So with love, we said farewell and for a few short weeks we were
‘boatless’. But I have been here
before. And as anyone who really knows
us…it was just a matter of time. We are
once again boat owners. After a few
offers passed back and forth doing the purchase and offer dance, we now own a
beautiful craft.
I am happy to introduce “Solace”. She will be our escape. All the expressions
like ‘you can’t take it with you’ and 'I’m spending our kids inheritance' come
to mind. Only this is indeed a family boat – room for all. Our grandson in wide-eyed wonder looked at a
picture and in two words said it all; “nice boat”!
We’re already planning the official launch; the maiden
voyage to our home port with our son assuming the role of first mate; a
designation I will gladly relinquish for the day. It is our thing- this boating thing. And without it, we are like fish out of water
much like the man from Atlantis. It is
our destiny. It is our “Solace”.


No comments:
Post a Comment