Wednesday, November 6, 2013

It Takes a Village to Raise a Child



...Hilary Clinton quoted in 1996.
Back in my day (I know I know, I am starting to sound like my Mother)…it wasn’t necessarily so.  I was raised in the country so the ‘village’ aspect didn’t really exist.  We had a family.  We had each other. I am a baby boomer and yes, I was squarely in my teens throughout the sixties.  Born in the fifties it was still considered post war I guess.  


I was two or three years old when my Father made the decision to ‘go out west’ to find work.  It was not because he was going to make high wages or because (nonexistent) EI had run out.  It was to put bread on the table, to put it bluntly.  He, along with a couple of friends boarded a train with suitcases filled with food for them to exist on until they reached their destination.  Their destination was the ‘lumber woods’ in Saskatchewan.  I was so young I thought the ‘lumber woods’ was a grove of trees that I could see on the other side of our river.  Considering my age – it was all relative; it looked really really far away to me.


The day my Father left, he had to walk down our clay lane to hitch a ride to the train station with the neighbors who were fortunate enough to own a car.  Mom and Dad had just taken groceries home.  In the brown paper bags were chocolate bars – a parting present from my Dad.  They were a big treat ‘back then’.  As my Dad walked down the lane (my Mother recounted this story), I took off on a dead run to take a chocolate bar to him as I thought he had forgotten it.  He didn’t see me.  An older sibling caught up to me and escorted me back to the house.  Dad often said years later…if he had seen me, he never would have left.   

Dad was away roughly 6 months.  He left my Mom and five children behind to fend the best we could on the meager earnings he sent home.  He made $1.00 a day in the ‘lumber woods’. We didn’t own a car, so the neighbors would take my Mom to town for groceries and the like and the same neighbors always saw to it we attended church on Sundays.  My Mom ordered clothes from the Sears Roebuck and T.Eaton Company’s catalogues. She would fill out the order form and mail it.  Weeks later the goods would be delivered c.o.d. to the local post office.  She sewed the girls’ clothes and it was a fine day when we donned these new garments with the ‘new’ smell of fresh cotton.  Because I was so young, I cannot recall many other details.


When my Dad arrived home, I wasn’t sure who he was.  It didn't take a long time for a child as young as me to forget.  He didn’t force it, but opened his black and white suitcase (which still exists today) and began to take out the trinkets he brought home for us.  There was a little ceramic grey kitten with a pink bow around its neck along with a black standard poodle with a chain around its neck and a baby poodle attached (similar to the dollar store items you see today).  There were others, but these two stand out in my mind.  They were displayed on our windowsills for years.  Dad never went 'out west' again, but times were still tough.  Work was getting harder and harder to find on our little Island.  After much deliberation, my Mother decided to join the workforce.  It was 1963.
 
My Mother stayed at home until I reached nine years of age.  My sister and I effectively became ‘latch key’ kids that year. She returned to work at that time for the first time since she was a single girl.  It wasn’t because it was a cool thing to do.  She had to.  Back then there was no EI or other reasonable social programs for my Father who was a seasonal employee.  When there was no work…he didn’t get paid.  End of story.  


I can still see my Mom walking down the snow covered field in mid April with her suitcase in hand.  She was heading to the USA where there were still jobs for East Coasters.  At nine, I wasn’t sure what all this meant.  I didn’t know how long she would be gone, and I felt lost and confused to see my older siblings crying.  I wrote to her nearly every day.  I loved getting her letters in return.  She wrote to each one of us individually and it must have taken up most of her free time.  She told us stories of the people she was working for and always kept her tone light.  It was reassuring. 

Back at home we did our best to keep the house running.  My Father did his best.  My Mom had taught him how to bake bread.  I thought it comical to see his big hands kneading the dough.  He had a hard time with me…I was a picky eater and I am sure he was terrified that Mom would return to see me a mere ghost of myself.  So every morning, like a sentry he stood by the door with homemade eggnog in a tall glass and I was not allowed out the door until I drank it.  I did.  To this day I detest Eggnog!  My Mom returned home the following July.  She missed my sister’s grade 12 graduation by a week or so, but we were ecstatic to have her home.  She came home with new clothes for us all and her smile lit up the house again.


My Mom found work as a Nanny/housekeeper in our home town that year.  In the sixties it wasn’t unheard of for kids to be latch-key kids although our house was never locked in those days.  My sister and I would come home from school and the first order of the day was to change out of our ‘school clothes’. There would be a note on the table from my Mom with instructions on what to prepare for supper.  We learned really young how to prep vegetables and how to light the oil/wood stove so dinner could be cooked.  I also learned it was not cool to throw out ‘leftovers’.  Especially if those said leftovers was fish (which I detested).  My Father loved fish, leftover or not.  He was less than pleased to discover the barn cat had a feast on his leftover fish.  His blue eyes widened in shock and disbelief when I fessed up and said the cat ate it.  This mistake was never repeated…I was a quick study!
Our family circa 1965


My sisters and I had our allotted chores scheduled on Saturdays.  There were few extra curricular activities for us like swimming, gymnastics or sports of any kind.  Housecleaning was performed by every one of us.  I was given ‘light duties’ since I was the youngest and deemed incapable of doing anything that involved lifting or hard physical labor.  So I dusted.  I took all day to dust (I got easily distracted in those days too).  Today it is still my most ‘unfavorite’ chore.  I would help my older brother haul in the firewood with his promise to pull me up the hills when we went sledding.  He made good on his promise and would sled with me for hours. 


Back in my day there was no such thing as blaming others for our lot in life.  If we didn’t do well in school, there was no blame put on the teachers as it was understood it was our sole responsibility for our successes or failures.  There was no blame put on the government for classes too large or for too many PD days (which I don’t remember until high school).
If you missed the bus there was hell to pay.  There wasn’t a family car to drive you.  So…we never missed the bus.  We brown bagged it for lunch.  Not a bad thing, but after twelve years of the proverbial sandwich, needless to say I have a hard time today getting excited over a sandwich!  


We were rarely left with babysitters.  Our parents didn’t go out.  I can remember one time a neighbor stayed with us so Mom and Dad could go to the movies.  One time.  The next time they took me with them.  It was a Western called ‘North to Alaska’ with John Wayne.  It was supposed to be a comedy but it was totally over my head and not understanding the humor, I fell asleep.  I still fall asleep during a movie – it’s like a sedative.  


Today things are so different.  Some say it takes a village now to raise a child.  With both parents typically out of the home working, children are in the care of early childhood educators, after-school programs and the like.  Will today’s children be better (or worse) off for the most part?  Time will tell.  It’s hard for anyone today to decide because they have little to compare it to.  


I am soon to be an official ‘senior’.  That dreaded word that many deny is their current state.  I am also retired and can appreciate the work and organization it takes to keep a household running smoothly.  I cannot internalize what young families are coping with today as there is no comparison to what ‘is’ today and what ‘was’ in my day.  Suffice to say, I have the joy of growing old (the alternative is not so great). And I still wear a peace symbol around my neck.


To the young families of today, I wish you Godspeed in all you do.  It is because of you that I stay young at heart and mind.  Thank you for this blessing.  And if I lament on ‘my day’, it is mostly because I feel it important to know your past – just like my parents who passed their knowledge on to me.

So with all due respect...it does not necessarily take 'a village' to raise a child. Opposition to Hilary Clinton's theory was evident when the Republican nominee Bob Dole quoted in his acceptance speech: 
"with all due respect, I am here to tell you, it does not take a village to raise a child. It takes a family to raise a child."

My Mom and Dad.  July 1944


 

No comments:

Post a Comment