Whenever I am away from home my senses are usually
on high alert. Mostly it is intentional
so I don’t miss anything, but lately, without any conscious thought, I was
keenly aware of everything around me.
People are interesting. Everyone has a story. We were on a road trip to Quebec and since
driving for extended hours literally kill my back; we decided it prudent to
overnight at roughly the halfway mark.
It was in Edmunston that we experienced a delightful ‘people’ encounter.
We checked in to a local hotel and the receptionist
was very busy doing whatever receptionists do.
We hated to bother her with such a silly request such as where the best
places to eat would be. No bother at all.
It was like we stuck a pin in her, she became animated and quickly
pulled out a map of the area and began circling the best places to eat (in her
opinion) that she freely shared with us.
I couldn’t help smiling the entire time.
She circled a location on the map and apologized that it was a little
bit farther away but if we were interested it would be worth the drive. (It turned out to be only a 5 minute
drive). Her description of the
restaurant went something like this:
“A
good friend of mine owns this restaurant.
It is a ‘bring your own wine’ kind of place. The liquor store is on your way there on the
right side beside Sobey’s. The food is
like home cooked. It is like having
dinner in someone’s home. You will love
it. The restaurant is called “Chantal’s” and it is also my friend’s name.”
Needless to say she had me on the first
sentence. Totally intrigued we decided
that “Chantal’s” it would be. Sure
enough, we found the NBLC and chose a chilled bottle of Wolf Blass
Chardonnay. Can’t loose with that choice
and off we went to experience the ‘just like home’ dining.
![]() |
| Chantal's on rue Victoria |
Upon entering the restaurant, a young hostess
greeted us with a huge smile and asked “Were you just here a minute ago”? Ahhh. “No”, I slowly replied. She laughed and said again “Are you sure”? Ahh… yes I am sure I told her. But somehow this in itself made me feel a
little spooky. Okay who was in here
impersonating me? Kidding. She wasn’t easily deterred because she went on to say
someone who looked a LOT like me was just in the restaurant. Okay!
She quickly seated us at a table for two and a candle was already lit
in the center. I quickly looked around at
the décor which seemed very current and again I felt that there was more to
this place than meets the eye.
![]() |
| Bon Appetit |
A waitress approached our table with wine glasses
and immediately opened our bottle of wine and poured. This was to make the whole ‘bring your own
wine’ thing legal of course and we paid $2 for the privilege. She brought out menus (which were entirely in
French) and took no time at all explaining what each entrée was in
English. I asked her if her name was “Chantal”. She said “Oh no that is the owner, and she is
over there dressed in red”. Sure enough
where she indicated this tiny, well turned out woman was indeed dressed in
red. I told our server that we would
like to meet her. It was
this encounter that left us feeling some things just happen and we were
destined to meet this lovely little woman.
“Chantal” asked us if she could tell us ‘her story’. She knew her restaurant had been recommended
and she expressed her gratitude.
It began with “Chantal” and her teenage daughter living
alone and “Chantal” without a job. She
had a house but no means to keep the lights on (so to speak) or to put food on
the table or clothes on their backs. It
is a little town with not much in gainful employment opportunities. She took a leap. After meeting with bankers and some friendly
advisers, she decided to mortgage her house and open her own restaurant. It is one year later and she is obviously
good at what she does and her restaurant is booming.
![]() |
| Not the actual winning ticket |
As we got up to depart, she came hurrying over to
bid us farewell. She extended her arms
and gave us both a tight hug. I thanked
her for the wonderful dinner and told her I was honored to hear her story and
wished her much success and happiness.
“Chantal” demonstrated the most unique form of
customer service. Everyone in her
establishment, like us, felt wanted and appreciated – without question. We left feeling not only satiated, but with a
renewed belief that Angels do exist and good things really do happen
to good people.
PS: If you ever have the opportunity, by far the most delicious (and sinful) dessert here was Chantal's "Sugar Pie". Guaranteed to leave you wanting more!
*I did not take notes so I offer this disclaimer as
I may have gotten part(s) of the details a bit mixed up with the language
difference and the fact that I was trying to take it all in.



No comments:
Post a Comment