Sunday, July 7, 2013

Another Year Another Celebration of Life

Knight Rider big wheels; circa 1987



I love Birthdays.  Each year I count my blessings as I celebrate one more year of life.  Each year now is a bonus and never do I denounce my age or hide it in any way.  I encourage my children and my husband to acknowledge their birthdays as a special blessing and gift so that each day we can live in the moment as it is truly all we have at any given time;  just a moment.


This year our beautiful son celebrated a milestone.  Thirty years ago he was a little bundle of blonde hair, blue eyed joy.  We watched him grow, learn, and enter into adulthood with the wisdom and gentle kindness I knew in my heart he always possessed.  He is our second child; another gift we never take for granted.  


Searching for a meaningful gift, I decided it was time to put a book together to celebrate his thirty young years.  Scouring through baby albums, photo albums and electronic files, I ended up with the perfect present for him.  “Thirty Years of Memories From Home” is the title of the book celebrating his big day.  I couldn’t wait to give it to him!  I laughed and sometimes I cried as I put this book together, as the memories associated with the pictures were priceless.  He was and still is...a cutie.
Our Birthday Boy

In the corner of the sun porch that evening, he quietly turned the pages of his memory album.  Our family had been boating all day and the evening was hot and humid.  I squirmed in my chair, not wanting to stare at him, but I so wanted to be inside his head as he read the passages.  He giggled from time to time and other times his was pensive.  Of course it is hard to ‘end’ a story like that so it is befitting that I give to him, the same poem I gave to his father on his birthday many years ago.  It was at that moment I realized it was perfect timing.  Our son has his Father’s second name and his Grandfather’s first name.  He continues to wear the name proudly and loves the three generation history.  I do not know the author, but the poem speaks for itself:


Your Name 

The Three Fees

You got it from your father it was the best he had to give.

And right gladly he bestowed it.  It’s yours the while you live.

You may lose the watch he gave you – and another you may claim.

But remember when you’re tempted – to be careful of his name.

It was fair the day you got it- a worthy name to bear.

When he took it from his Father, there was no dishonor there.

Through the years he proudly wore it.

To his Father he was true.

And that name was clean and spotless when he passed it on to you.

Oh there’s much that he has given-

That he values not at all…

He has watched you break your playthings in the days when you were small.

You have lost the knife he gave you and you’ve scattered many a game.

But…you’ll never hurt your Father if you are careful with his name.

It is yours to wear forever; yours to wear the while you live.

Yours perhaps some distant morning to another boy to give.

And you’ll smile…as did your Father.

With a smile that all can share.

If a clean name and a good name-

You are giving him to wear.



Happy Birthday to the most wonderful son any parent could ever hope for.  Love you today and always, xoxo, your Mom; Lady Lorraine.

Kisses and hugs for my Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment