We planned the evening with care. The care in being with the schedule of Baby’O’ – little baby Emerson. The family gathered…and captured the family picture – outside this time as we had the most beautiful coating of snow blanketing all the trees and bushes. It was a whirlwind. It always is when you have ‘x’ amount of time to squish all the things in you want to do on Christmas Eve. The picture taking over, we gather up our family, split up into two vehicles and head out to Iona, to the little church where just a year ago we dreamed/prayed for the ‘baby’ that our daughter and son-in-law wanted so desperately.
Entering the church I was disheartened to see so many people standing in the porch. A small Christmas nativity was in play, by the local children. I guessed that the people waiting did not want to disturb the presentation. However, when the play was over and the children dispersed to their seats with their families, I was still a bit befuddled why there was so many still standing in the porch. My daughter, Baby Emerson and his Dad were ushered to the front seat. Not wanting to ‘butt in’, I told the usher that the people in the porch were there ahead of us. They declined, shaking their heads vehemently, that they did not want the front seats. So off to the front seats we trooped; my son and his sweet wife and me. A front seat is okay with me…all the better to concentrate on the mass without the distractions. Grampie stayed at the back relinquishing his seat to a young couple.
Sitting there listening to the Christmas carols, I had the sensation that this was how it was meant to be. Baby Emerson was sitting on his Dad’s knee, smacking on his soother, and charming the people sitting behind us. When the priest spoke, Emerson’s little head would jerk upwards toward the ceiling speaker, wondering I am sure why the sounds were coming from the ceiling. He was as good as gold. Tired and desperate for a nap, he fought the sleep gods, not missing a beat. On many occasions he would lean toward me whether out of boredom or just wanting a change, I wasn’t sure. He stayed in his Daddy’s arms the entire time and all was well in the world.
A year ago, baby Emerson was sitting in the exact same seat…only in his Mommy’s belly. Ironic that a year later they were given the same seating arrangement. The difference a year makes. We prayed silently for him a year ago, not knowing for sure who we were praying for, but we were praying just the same. Our little Christmas Angel was circling around this church a year ago…I am sure of that now. He is an old soul. He looks through you with those beautiful dark eyes, and he knows…he knows of those who prayed for him…it shows. He is at home in this church. He knows that he has been here before.
Christmas morning came quickly. Our bedroom door creaked open and through a sleep haze I could see the little red sleeper with the sewn tag “best Christmas present” on his chest and the little baby boy looking down on us with the beginnings of a smile appearing around his soother, his little legs pumping with anticipation. He plops in the bed on top of us…and he buries his head in the blankets giving us his first morning hug. He is delighted to be in our bed…it’s something different for him…and of course we shower him with kisses. I could not have imagined having a gift like this …on this Christmas day. He has effectively wiped away any desire for anything monetary…with his little hands around our necks. I guess that is how Mother-nature intended it to be…that as grandparents we get to relive all those precious moments…moments that our own children bestowed upon us not that long ago. We were all our children had on Christmas morning. Extended family and grandparents did not play a role in our Christmas magic. If nothing else…we can change that for our children and their children-to-be.
Christmas Angels come in many shapes and sizes. I look forward to seeing many, many more to come. For now... we can bask in the heavenly glow of baby Emerson.
No comments:
Post a Comment