You are the last person I think about before I close my eyes to sleep. You are the first person I think about when I open my eyes to awaken. That's just how it is when you are the baby. And yes, Emerson, you are the baby of our (collective) family now. You creep into our wakeful consciences, you are always there hovering just above our line of sight. Your smiles, giggles, tears, and baby babble are part of my daily life now. I am a Nannie. I love being your Nannie. Most of all I love how YOU love your Nannie. I am smitten with your presence in my (our) life. You don't even have to try. All I need to do is look at the photographs scattered here and there and I want to hold you, and feel your little fingers picking at my zippers or at my necklaces or feel your little hands tugging at my pant legs.
What did I ever do in my lifetime to deserve you? (I often asked this question when I had my own children). Did I pass some test in this life (or in another life) that gave me the reward of having my children and a grandchild like you? Did I pray so hard for you that God and the Universe got so tired of hearing from me that you were delivered to my daughter so I would finally be at peace? Whatever the reason, I am grateful. I am blessed. I am thankful that in my life I can realize the joy and the gift of you.
Your Nannie...love today and always.
No comments:
Post a Comment