Monday, April 11, 2011

True Grit: A Liberal Party Nomination Convention

Never have I witnessed him so excited…felt the ‘steam’ coming off his back, or the tremor in his voice as the emotions and energy in the room threatened to take over.


When the first strains of the energetic song by the Black Eyed Peas ("I’ve Got a Feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good, good night") blasted the room; I knew it was a sign. I had combed iTunes earlier in the year to find a song that would reflect his focus, and energize the crowd at the same time. I/we chose this song. But…nominations being what they are…the 'powers-that-be' decide on the venue and the details surrounding it…right down to the chair placement, balloons, bangers and posters. So, we laughed and shrugged our shoulders and conceded that it was fun thinking about his ‘theme’ song anyway.

When this song was played…without our knowledge or input…we both knew…it was the sign we were waiting for…this WAS going to be his night!  Earlier in the day, I asked him to hum this song in his mind when he was walking to the stage...to deliver his nomination speech.  Hearing it played for him...was our 'AHA moment'!

From the very beginning, he believed that win or lose…it WOULD be a good night. The three months of canvassing were long and hard, and at times blinding snowstorms didn’t even break his stride. The community accepted him into their homes with open arms…not much wonder…his charisma is infectious and really, really hard to resist. Even the so-called cross dogs….and the ‘shy’ children swarmed him and either sat on his knee or in the case of the animals slept at his feet. The competition was totally baffled….on how he won. Each evening, we would sit in front of the fire as the snow storms raged outside…and discuss and rehash the days’ appointments. Most were positive…and even the not so positive brought us comic relief. His focus and strategy was simple…it’s all about people. The rest would naturally fall into place…and it did.

So here we were….finally at the crossroads…of his political journey….just beginning…and with anticipation far beyond anything we had ever experienced. The crowd swarmed him as he greeted his ‘people’ when they came through the door. I retreated to a distance…so as not to become a distraction….to let him work his ‘magic’ and to ‘feel the energy’ in the room. And energy there was….so much so…he thought he would burst at the end of the evening.

Nominators and Seconders gave their speeches and finally the Candidates took the stage. I knew his speech intimately…and read it along with him…word for word. He appeared calm, and I was the only one in the room that knew that his stomach was full of butterflies…but those butterflies were flying in formation. He stayed true to himself…no flowery words or gestures…straight talk, plain and simple. I watched some people around me nodding their heads…in agreement…as they watched the object of their support up on the stage.

It was time; time to cast the votes. The competition was smiling and laughing…and for the first time I had a nanosecond of doubt…does she know something we don’t know? It only lasted for a second. People casting their votes moved past me and reached out to squeeze my hand…in support…with smiles beaming on their faces. OKAY…this is good! The next half hour crawled. I couldn’t understand what the speakers were saying…I could hear their words…but the comprehension wouldn’t come…they looked like talking heads. Then, the count was done. Someone (probably the party lawyer) walked into the room carrying the results. At this point I was really glad I hadn’t eaten anything at supper…I am sure it would not have stayed down!

He was across the room…on the other side and too many people separated us. I wanted to be at his side…as I had been for the past three months. This was not to be….the results were announced and I and our family jumped off our chairs and shouted in unison.
HE WON!

The crowd roared with pleasure and clapping reverberated off the walls like shrapnel. The energy was unbelievable! SO this is what these events are all about! A ‘first’ for me; a first for our family; and definitely a first for HIM…and what a night….yes indeed…it WAS a GOOD GOOD night!

No comments:

Post a Comment