“On this day, O beautiful Mother
On this day we give thee our love.
Near the, Madonna, fondly we hover
Trusting thy gentle care to prove.”
On this day we give thee our love.
Near the, Madonna, fondly we hover
Trusting thy gentle care to prove.”
Even after 50 plus years of hearing this hymn sung
in our church on Mother’s day, I still hum this song on Mother’s day. My Mom loved that hymn. She loved her Mother beyond belief. My Mom paid it forward.
This year was a little different. Instead of being spoiled on Mother’s day with
a lobster meal cooked by my husband and the trimmings made by others, we changed
it up. We had to go out of province to
attend a cousin’s funeral on Thursday.
Instead of driving over and back the same day, my husband suggested a ‘road
trip’. I love road trips. Spontaneity is not a trait I possess; I am a
planner you know! But I am getting
better.
My job was to browse around and find some place
interesting to spend the evening/night and return the following day. It would be my early Mother’s day treat. No problem!
It didn’t take long and I sent a text on the Wednesday before that
reservations were made. Done deal.
We took the Confederation bridge to the mainland
because we had a deadline for the funeral.
To take the ferry was risky in the off season and with crossing times
not suiting our schedule it made sense to drive. We did take the ferry back just to make it a ‘round
trip’ so to speak.
The first half day was sad but the gift of
personal presence at a funeral speaks for itself. Shortly after we left Halifax we were off on
our mini holiday. Our travels took us to
Wolfville, and along the way passed the familiar wineries we visited last year. Not today.
My google app on my phone showed we would be arriving in less than an
hour. Wicked.
| Blomindon Inn Wolfville NS |
Approaching the Blomindon Inn in Wolfville I was
amazed that this historic building was once a private home. Built in the 1800’s it has retained its
grandeur from the front and a large addition on the backside has accommodated
more guests over the years. The owner’s
son is the Inn’s chef and with just a few guests in house that evening, we were
the recipients of the ‘Captain’s four course candlelit dinner for two”. The Chef’s brother is also the sommelier
making it indeed a family affair. The
dinner was awesome with a salad dressed with the Inn’s own smoked bacon
followed by an appetizer of smoked salmon which is smoked on site. The main course was poached salmon with a
lobster sauce and their own garden grown vegetables. Dessert was a bread pudding or warmed
chocolate brownie; both of which were consumed like there was no tomorrow. You would think we would be stuffed beyond
our imagination. But no, we happily
climbed the winding wood stairs (no elevator) to our room which was called the “Wickwire”
room. No room numbers here!
| View of the Minas Basin from the 2nd floor Wickwire room |
The Inn has the ‘atmosphere’ of a bed and breakfast, but
offers the amenities of a regular hotel. The hotel brochure clearly states that kids
are welcome, but please keep them quiet as their guests come here for peace and
quiet. I had to laugh at that one! It was quiet.
It started to feel like we were in the ‘Bate’s Motel’ and it was a
little creepy. However after a nice
glass of chilled wine (or two) from their wine cellar, I quickly got over it.
| The four poster queen bed dominated the room |
The room was small and seemed smaller with all the
furniture they had stuffed in there. The
bed was a queen four poster and it dwarfed the room somewhat. The wooden trim and baseboards were so huge
they took over the room. The décor was definitely
for the period and the hotel did a good job recreating what you would expect in
an 1800- era homestead. Along with the
old furniture came the smell of old furniture.
There is a distinct odor with old furniture and when I closed my eyes I
imagined I was in the old convent when I was a child. Actually the Inn looks like a convent from
the outside!
Our room had four windows plus another one in the
ensuite bathroom. That I loved! I am a window freak and get rather ‘air
hungry’ if the windows don’t open. They
did and offered us a view of the Minas Basin. It rained that day, so I
didn’t get to browse through their famous gardens…maybe next time. I managed to
get a photo between rain drops!
| Spring flowers and shrubs in full bloom in the side garden |
We had breakfast in the main dining room the next
morning with one other couple. It was
definitely a great place to feel special and ‘waited on’. A Mother’s day treat for sure. We were home by early evening the next day
feeling rested, satiated and eager to host our little family the next day. The ferry ride was uneventful and with the
lingering misty rain we didn’t spend much time out on deck. I did however brave that cold ocean mist to
snap a few nautical photographs. Our
trip wouldn’t be complete without them!
| Northunberland Ferry Pictou NS to Wood Islands PEI |
| PEI appears through the fog and mist |
Our children along with their spouses, grandson and their little dog arrived
the next day to celebrate Mother’s day.
I cooked. And was happy to do
it. There was no lobster served as the
local fishermen were staging a strike of sorts.
So to honor their plight I cooked prime rib instead.
| The cool rain did not deter our grandson from playing in the yard with Grampie |
It was a great day...a Mother of all Mother’s days!
No comments:
Post a Comment