I failed.
Dr. Oz says if you can talk ... while you walk; lengthen your stride; swing your arms; then you are in reasonably good shape.
Walking is no problem. Lengthening my stride is no problem. Swining my arms is no problem. Talking whilst I perform all three of the above IS however a problem. A test I failed this week while pushing my grandson in his stoller along a flat surfaced track in a local community centre. Not pretty. My lungs screamed at me; "you fool, what T.F. are you trying to do to us?"
I am so out of shape. How did this happen? No, I am not obsessed with my (lack of) fitness. It is more like I am not obsessed enough.
So with a lot of motivation (thank you to my support network - you know who you are), I am back to looking after my(physical)self. I would love to 'blame' it on someone or something, but I am ultimately accountable.
The last year I have been living the good life. Good health. Good family and friends gathering....over fabulous dinner parties and gatherings. At those gatherings, those little devils I call 'appetizers' - you know the 'mini meals' that people love to serve these days (me included), coupled with the palate pleasing Malbecs, Merlots, or Shirezes...well you get the picture. Calories in a glass! Then after all that ... the main meal! I have no will power. That's it.
I'd love to blame it on the Election. While I manned phones and sat on my duff working the media stuff, my better half was out (walking) the campaign trail with the pounds melting off before my eyes. I should have been running behind him....but I am really, really afraid of all those dogs!
So Dr. Oz continues his fat buster rant...this will increase your metabolizm ....this will burn off that belly fat. Well I am now sporting a 'booty belly'. You know the silouette that shows your belly bigger than your butt! Sheesh....how did I get here? My 'bad hip' as I like to call it groans after a 45 minute walk...no wonder...it's trying to carry 20 extra pounds that it is not accustomed to. 20 lbs!!! So begins another regime of trying to knock it off. I really want to get back into my bikinis (Lord knows I spent enough money on them)...and I am still WAY too hot (temperature-wise) to succumb to one piece-ers.
So this week I signed up for a Meditation Challenge. Maybe if I start with my 'mind' I can train it to do anything. I also walked 3 days out of 5...not bad for a start. Next week I will up my days to 4 out of 5 and every day I walk I increase the length of time by 15 minutes. By the summer I should be able to walk to Tignish (kidding)!
This week while house cleaning a spare bedroom I came across a scrapbook my daughter made for me when I turned 50. It made me smile. A lot of memories are crammed in there. One picture leaped off the page and I had a moment of immense guilt. It was a picture of me on my honeymoon...all 106 lbs of me...sporting a teeny bikini ...yikes...it was like looking at someone else. NOT that I would ever want to be that skinny again...because at my age now I really do need to cushion my aging bones...but I would be happy losing those extra 20 pounds that have found a home around my waist.
Seriously though, even with this long rant about fitness or lack thereof, I am grateful. I am grateful that I am able to partake in food and refreshments. I am grateful that I CAN get out and walk a beautiful country trail on a sunny winter day. I am grateful that I have weight on my bones and that I am not wanting or wondering where my next meal comes from. I am cognizant of all of this and I do not relish the idea that too much weight is the be all and end all of my existence. I am otherwise a very healthy individual.
The mind is a very smart tool ...but I would be wise to not pay it too much attention. See ya on the trails...and watch out Dr. Oz...here I come!!!



No comments:
Post a Comment