Sunday, November 27, 2011

The True Meaning of Christmas (whatever that means to you)

Just so it’s clear. I was (and still am) a shopper. However since retirement, my mindset has taken a swing. Shopping that used to be a ‘thing to do’, and always an enjoyment, now seems to have taken on a new meaning. I have no idea where this ‘change in attitude’ came from…but I kinda like it. I don’t get caught up in the hype anymore and I don’t think it has anything to do with not being gainfully employed. I would rather like to think that I have other things happening in my life that provides new meaning and focus. Shopping has taken a backseat. What used to bring me that momentary satisfaction of ‘acquiring’ something new, now leaves me with the feeling of ‘buyer’s remorse’ and most of the time I end up leaving the tags on and returning the item a week later; the momentary satisfaction having worn off completely. But I digress.


The whole idea of ‘the true meaning of Christmas’ came to me swiftly and unexpected this morning. I answered a call that was marked ‘private number’ and typically I let those go to voicemail. If the caller doesn’t want me to know in advance that they are calling, then I am really skeptical about answering such calls. Anyway I was nearby and answered. I am so glad I did. I completely forgot my brother blocks his calls. Since I don’t hear from him often by phone, I didn’t expect to hear his voice. His voice was so good to hear; it was upbeat; it sounded devoid of any numbing influence of drugs and generally sounded happy to be alive. In the course of conversation I asked him what he ‘needed’ for Christmas. Without missing a beat he said, “I want to spend Christmas with you!” Oh my God! Here I was expecting to hear he needed some ‘material possession’, but no, what he needed was to be around family. A basic need. A need many of us take for granted during this Chrismas season. I immediately reassured him that it was ‘a given’ that he spend Christmas day with us and then the conversation switched to decorating his room. Never have I heard him so enthusiastic. Last year he didn’t even want to put a tree up which was no effort since the tree was artificial and decorated from year to year. That same tree has not followed him to his new place of residence. We discussed what would work. He settled for a little tabletop tree and I have just the ticket. He also readily agreed that a wreath on his door was appropriate….this is a first. I told him I had already planned on getting him one and he sounded happy. He likes to have signs of Christmas as soon as December 1st rolls around….who knew??

While the news is filled with ‘black Friday’ sales and the usual scramble for the ‘deals’, I breathe a sigh of relief that I have not succumbed to that hype. I elected to ‘shop local’ as often as I can this year; this year of economic strife for some local businesses who rely so heavily on the end of year purchases. It is always a challenge for me to give a ‘meaningful’ gift. But for my children I think I found it. They seemed delighted and that is what counts. A local schoolboy was selling wreaths for a fund raiser…perfect! You can’t get more local than that. Cognizant of spreading it around, we will also purchase a wreath from a local nursery. They need the business too. It sometimes takes the little things and when you add them all up, it is powerful.

So it is definitely a personal thing…this ‘true meaning of Christmas’. For most people it could mean a whole host of things. What’s important for me was to make it meaningful for me…and my family. During this time when there are many who are without family, financial stability, or in some cases, a home, while you can’t fix the whole world, you can try to make a difference….a little bit at a time.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment