It’s week 2. I didn’t plan to write about THE ELECTION until it was over. But since writing helps ground me and also helps me put so much into perspective, here I go again.
I am working on his campaign. Something I never… ever...ever saw myself doing. One day as I was having a chat with the friendly spirits that surround me on a daily basis, in this case namely my Dad and my other Dad Fee, I asked out loud if they would help guide him. I know for sure Eddie will, in fact he is probably dancing a jig up there. Fee would be smiling and shaking his head, but we could always count on him and his sage advice. These two heavenly souls will be here for us…I know it. On the opposite sides of political stipes…they had a special kinship. They both loved ‘A’. And ‘A’ loved them ….unconditionally. In fact my Dad was one of ‘A’s best friends. He never had to say it…it was an unspoken thing between them. And good thing…as when my Dad had lost a lot of his speech…he didn’t have to talk. He would hold his arms out wide in greeting and cry silent tears when ‘A’ would visit him in the manor. Those visits were both painful and joyful at the same time.
So…I want to capture some of my thoughts before the ballots are cast. And let the chips fall where they may. ‘A’ knows what he needs to do…and he is doing it….every day from sun-up to sun-down. I am his ‘handler’; ensuring that he eats, rests, has clean and pressed clothes and gently slides the campaign stuff to one side – even for just a few hours. Of course it is hard and his dreams are full of conversations that may or may not have taken place during the day. One thing that is prevalent... as always... is the stories…the hilarious ones and the sadder ones. He can make even the more challenging visits sound funny…that is his Mom…standing by his side…giggling at the humour of it all. Other visits tear at his heart and he will arrive home quiet and contemplative. Those visits reaffirm for him…how blessed we really are.
On Sunday we sat on the flybridge of our boat. It was too windy and chilly to cruise….so we sat in the sun watching the river traffic and blissfully feeling the sun dance on our faces and arms. It was heaven. A friend stopped by. He is a true friend. He is of another political stipe…but his visit was so heartwarming and therapeutic. They laughed and traded stories in that bantering “one-up-manship” kind of way. It restored my faith; that it IS possible for some people to put the politics aside and just be your friend. Today I posted a note on A’s facebook wall. A lot of inspirational messages fall flat…I hope this one didn’t.
"Take one day at a time, stay patient, stay strong. Never forget who you are and who's beside you along the way."
By your side....today and always...Lady Lorraine.
No comments:
Post a Comment