Tuesday, September 27, 2011

One Week From Today

It will be all over. The election that is. Next week… on Tuesday, we will know what Islanders have chosen. We are tired. Not mentally…just purely physical..from the running, phone calls, rallies, debates, community events etc etc. We are social people and for the most part can roll with it. But when the week ends and we look at each other and with a huge breath say …Hi…to each other…you know it is a hectic time.


This is the last week of the election. I try to help. I feed the volunteers; I look after the social media...I iron...I cook...I drink a glass of wine or two. I run up and down the street with my little car…and most people know it by now. I get hugs from strangers and smiles from people I do not even know. It is cute. ‘A’ keeps going like the ever-ready bunny. He is getting tired…lost 6 lbs already and I am so envious. He had never seen anything like this. I love his enthusiasm…I love his passion…I love his dedication…and most of all I love his humility. He wants to win of course so he can be the ‘voice’ of the people here…but win or lose…we will celebrate…because if you truly ‘live in the moment’ then the people WILL choose and we’re okay with that.

My brother spent the last week in the hospital. Yes, the timing was bad…but like anything I believe that everything happens for a reason. Today, my sister and I helped him pass from one level of care to another. He is good. He is okay with this. I looked at his little room and my heart threatened to explode. He deserves so much better. He is one, who for whatever reason has carried the cross of being ‘an outsider’, even in his own family. He accepts his role…which makes my heart break even more. He is excluded a lot. And he doesn’t mind. He has lived a life with a lot of issues…but he is my big brother. This blog is named after his nickname for me when I was little…”Little Baptiste”. SO - it is only fitting that in the busiest week of my life this year…he has brought me back to ‘living in the moment’. When I attempted to be his ‘voice’…when they were offering him substandard living arrangements…I watched his face. I wondered where he had escaped to. I tried so hard to not let my emotions take over…but they did…my voice shook as I described his sacrifice. A long time ago (1983) he returned home to be a lifeline for my parents. He never asked for much. Yes, he did create some challenges for us…but he didn’t have much to go on. Well…that is indeed another blog entirely.

For now…he is safe. That is what is important. I can maybe sleep the entire night…for the first time in a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment