Monday, April 19, 2010

The Clairvoyant


I greet the 'Angel lady', heart thumping in my chest...what exactly was I thinking when I booked this appointment? She is not what I expected. But what did I expect? Maybe long flowie skirt, with bandana tied around the forehead and long red nails, darkened room with incense burning in a wick? She was none of these things. Jeans, sweatshirt and a laid-back manner in a five foot four frame greeted me in the lobby. It was her eyes that caught my attention. Deep-sea blue eyes, piercing, but kind, a 'look right through you' kind of eyes, engaged me in a way that was akin to hypnotic. I feel giddy now, and soon find myself babbling about silly things, all of which I forget now, because they were just that...silly.

She takes me to her reserved room for my 'Angel reading'. I have always been intrigued with angels and truly believe I have one (or two) with me always. I needed proof. And here she is about to give me the 'proof' I so desperately need. I am not a skeptic, but somewhere down deep inside I wanted to validate my beliefs somehow. I draw a deep breath, in fear of hyperventilating; I started looking around for a vessel that would serve as a brown paper bag. She is so patient. She understands. "Sit down," she says, and asks me to choose a crystal to hold in my hands. I'm afraid. I'm afraid I will clutch that crystal so tight it will turn to dust. The crystal feels cool and smooth in my hand. Amazing! My breathing slows and I'm okay, really okay now, to proceed. So far, nothing has come swooping from the corners of the room, nor do I feel my heart hammering anymore.

She begins...with a prayer... to my Angels...assuring me that everyone in this room will have my best interests at heart. I look around. There is still just the two of us. Ok I'm good with that. She slowly looks up at me and announces that I have a choice. I can receive an 'Angel' reading or I can communicate, through her, with deceased relatives. Ok, this is not what I signed up for, and away goes my heart again, threatening to jump clean out of my chest! “But why?” I ask. She smiles. She quietly tells me that the room is 'filling up' and there are some spirits that are anxious to talk to me. “Well, by all means, let them talk, I say.” How could I possibly deny them this opportunity? She smiles again and says, "Good!" because your Mother is the first one in the room. She looks at me with her head tipped slightly to one side, waiting for confirmation. But how...how did she know my Mother had passed on. She knows. She says my Father is in the room too, but that he had predeceased my Mother and will let her speak first. Right again, on both counts.

Until now, I guess I was a skeptic. Not anymore. The 'Angel' lady continued to speak with words that only my Mother and Father would know held meaning for me. I am a mess. This lady before me is a dead stranger, (no pun intended), and continues on, even though I am sitting in shock, with tears of joy and sadness pouring down my cheeks. She asks me if there is anyone else I would like to hear from. Yes there is. I'm wondering now if this will become a guessing game. She clarifies for me that there are 'many' in the room, so I will have to choose, as we will run out of time. So I choose my sister. The 'Angel' lady smiles again and says, "Yes, she is here. She passed away young?” I nod, no longer trusting my voice. She agrees and tells me that she is still very young in spirit. Okay, this I know to be true.... so tell me more. The Angel lady frowns slightly and asks if a letter/poem means anything to me. My sister is holding a letter and is thanking me for this. I cannot speak. So overwhelmed by grief, I can no longer talk. Undaunted, Angel lady presses on. "What does this mean to you?" she asks. Between sobs, I attempt to explain that I had written a short story about my sister. She read it a mere two months before she died and at her funeral I read it to a packed church. Angel lady's eyes sparkle and she smiles again. "Yes, she was with you then...standing beside you...reading along with you...but she was one sentence ahead of you!" My sister Josie was always one step ahead of me...a born leader...so this is no surprise. The Angel lady then tells me that my sister insists that I write more...that this is what makes me truly happy...and she, (Josie) would help me do just that. Puzzled, I could not imagine how my sister could make a 24 hour day any longer. Only if I lost my job, would this be possible. I casually mentioned this to my husband that night. I needed a witness.

Two months after this 'Angel' reading, my company downsized by 500 managers, and I was no longer employed. With a bouquet of flowers and champagne, my husband and I celebrated that night and into the wee hours of the morning.

So here I am. I am no longer a skeptic. A writer now, full time, pounding out words like lava on my computer every day. My husband, my mentor, my truest and best friend, is by my side, patiently coaching and nudging me along. I am now at peace. I have an Angel who knew without question what would make me happy... thank you, thank you, thank you, Josie....until we meet again! xxxooo

Lady Lorraine

No comments:

Post a Comment