Monday, November 26, 2012

A Foodie's Night Out

Okay my calendar is getting full.  I considered skipping the blog entry but it is so important for me to write these days - I will make time. 

We can celebrate now.  His tests came back clear.  No words can express our joy, we are so thankful.  I didn't realize I had put so much on hold.  I couldn't write.  My mind was so busy.  I have a deadline now and I am starting to panic.  So I have promised to write every day until I am finished my piece.  More on that later.

After receiving the good news I decided to join him on a business trip.  He hates traveling and more so traveling alone.  So with airmiles carefully stashed away over the last year I spent them so I could at least spend the evenings with him

Astoria Greek Restaurant
The first evening though he had to attend a business 'dinner meeting'.  So I got to play.  Meeting my niece at one of her favorite restaurants was the best way to spend that first night.  I was so happy to see her.  With a grin from ear to ear we met, hugged and proceeded to partake of the 'Greek fare'.  It was delicious!  The atmosphere was conducive for an appetite and the decor the same.  Waiters bustled about and were attentive and polite. 

Pork Souvalki with roasted potatoes and rice
The first dish I was encouraged to try (one of my niece's favorites) was Pork Souvalki and it didn't disappoint.  Much more than I would normally consume, I ate with gusto. 

My niece recounted a funny story about her mother (my sister) when they once ordered Saganaki (a rich ripe salty cheese which is doused in alcohol of some sort and then lit on fire).  It was fun hearing about their experience and it was even more fun to eat it.  It was delicious and salty...my two favorite things!

Dolce Gelato
 We finished off the meal with a short stroll in the same block on the Danforth to have dessert.  It was a combo Gelato dish and it truly was delicious.  Feeling like I should 'run behind the car' back to the hotel, we continued on to meet up with my 'limo' driver from the hotel who so kindly hung around downtown Toronto to wait for me.
Fun times!

Benihana Japanese Restaurant - Teppanyaki Style
Later that week when the 'business' stuff was finished we joined his brother and wife at a Japanese restaurant for a Teppanyaki style dinner.  Because of my 'shrimp' allergy, the chef kindly cooked my entire meal first so as not to contaminate anything I would consume since all meals are cooked on the same grill right in front of you.  It was fun to experience this type of cooking and the chef was entertaining.

The following night we were invited to a dear friend's house for 'superior' wine and a gourmet meal.  We teased our friend about the 'home cooked meal', and he kept reminding us that it was 'gourmet'.  The wine was flowing and we stayed the night.  They will spend a week with us next summer and it will be fun times again!

With the Christmas season almost upon us with evening, upon evening of festivities, I will need to watch what I consume a little more closely.  I remarked to a lady at one of those festivities just the other night how the most fun times almost always are centered around food and fine wine. 

Ahhh....it feels good to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment