You make me happy
When skies are grey.
You'll never know, dear,
How much I love you.
Please don't take my sunshine away.”

I am so blessed. I hold baby Em and feel his chubby hands holding my fingers as he grasps the flesh on my hand and arm…all the while making me so aware of his healthy presence. I whistle and he rewards me with his sunshine smiles. I hold him high over my head and bring his face to mine to share open mouth baby wet kisses. He snuggles my neck when he is tired and needs a nap. One song (Keith Urban is his fave) and a gentle sway to the music is all it takes to put him into his baby slumber. He becomes still…and his baby snores act like a sedative. I am so blessed.
Meanwhile….in a community not that far away…there is another little baby…Baby Logan who is not so fortunate. He was born with Trisomy 3 Chromosome syndrome…rare…but was brought into this world by his Mom with full knowledge that his little life…short though it may be…would have purpose. The medical world will have extra time it seems to study this teenie infant…and to learn from his presence in this world. He is 3 weeks old….already defying the odds…most infants with this condition do not live this long.
We enter the hall where the benefit concert is being held. Baby Logan is still at the IWK and his Mom is still with him. They need support (both financially and personal) to get through the next weeks….or months. A picture of Baby Logan McIntyre is proudly displayed at the entrance. There are the usual 50/50 tickets for sale; a donation box; and a silent auction all happening at once. Performers are donating their time to sing to the crowd to entertain and to garner whatever support they can from the visiting community. There are many. Standing room only….we squeeze into the hot and humid hall. A thunder & lightening storm followed us to the hall and when we stepped out of the car we were in ankle deep rainwater. No matter…the weather was not dampening this crowd.
The performers were allowed to sing two songs each. This kept things moving along. Wheelchairs were placed in the middle aisle and the ages of this community gathering spanned many decades from as young as 2 months to 90 years of age. The community came together tonight in many ways…providing and serving food and soft drinks to the crowd. Young girls giggled and tore around with their friends…all dressed in their ‘Sunday best’ outfits. Performers waited patiently to one side holding their instruments of choice…waiting for their turn on stage. A lady began to sing Louis Armstrong’s “Over the Rainbow”…A and I shared a knowing glance…how fitting. Kendall Docherty sang a crowd’s favorite… “Danny Boy” and many sang along. An old friend appeared on stage with her guitar…we were thrilled to see Kelley…and she engaged the crowd in her rendition of “Your Cheatin Heart”…and again…many sang along. Among the last performers to take the stage was a family of eight sisters – the Maclean sisters who quite fittingly sang a hymn to honour Baby Logan… “One Day at a Time Sweet Jesus”.
"One day at a time sweet Jesus
That's all I'm asking from you.
Just give me the strength
To do everyday what I have to do.
Yesterday's gone sweet Jesus
And tomorrow may never be mine.
Lord help me today, show me the way
One day at a time."
The courage and the faith of this family permeated the room. I watched the young grandmother of Baby Logan and she was still smiling. Not once during the entire evening did I witness anything but a pure positive attitude in her. Amazing. The last song the sisters sang caused a lump to form in my throat. This song I sang to my own infant daugher and son when I rocked them to sleep at night…they did not have any health challenges …and that fact alone made me realize…how blessed I was ….and still am.
“You are my sunshine
My only sunshine.
You make me happy
When skies are grey.
You'll never know, dear,
How much I love you.
Please don't take my sunshine away.”
Godspeed Baby Logan...the entire community gathered together to celebrate and honour your little life. May we all be better people...because of you.

No comments:
Post a Comment