Thursday, February 18, 2010

An Angel Earns Her Wings. A Poem


"An Angel Earns Her Wings" was written about a girl (anyone younger than 40 is a girl in my view)... whom I got to know over the summer of 2006. She had a tough upbringing and did not have good memories about her mother and seemed to harbor a lot of anger, resentment, and hostility. At times she would shed all her fury and you would see this really good person.... and I watched her trying to change the pattern of history repeating itself... but alas ...her demons chased her continously. I wrote this for her and gave it to her.... so that she would know that not everyone judged her so harshly.

An Angel Earns Her Wings by ELR

With a shy smile, her eyes glow and twinkle.
Like mini lights on a Christmas tree,
A sideways glance and a tilt to her head,
She actively listens while I speak.

Dropped into my life on a summer breeze,
Smelling like wild flowers and fresh shampoo,
Have I known her in another life?
Like a sister she settles into my heart.

Once upon a time, she needed hugs and reassurance.
Reaching young girlhood, she stumbled along the way.
Searching for the path to redemption and salvation,
While trying to temper a growing anger.

We dance by the campfire and sing out of tune.
The starry night sky our audience and stage.
The wine flows and our faces glow and
Our laughter floats and echoes over the water.

Her beautiful spirit surrounds and blankets us.
She has taken a young girl under her wing.
At least for tonight breaking the cycle,
While admiring young eyes look up to her.

Do Angels earn their wings in heaven?
Or maybe as humans right here on earth?
God knows how she reached here and now,
Without earning her wings along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment